Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

How can we help?

I am homeless, what should I do?

The first thing you need to do is contact your Local Authority’s Homeless Department and register as homeless. You should be offered a place in Emergency Accommodation while they assess your housing need.

Your local Focus Ireland Advice and Information Service can talk you through this process. You can always talk with a key worker.

For out of hours, you need to contact the Homeless Freephone number on 1800 707 707. If you are outside Dublin, they can advise you on emergency accommodation options in your county.

How long will it take me to get a place of my own?

That depends on your particular situation. The best thing you can do to improve your chances is to apply to your Local Authority to have your housing need assessed as soon as possible.

We can support you by providing advice, and where necessary, working with the Local Authority, on your behalf.

You can always call or come in to talk to a key worker.

I am at risk of becoming homeless. What should I do?

Are you in accommodation right now and wish to remain there? If so, our staff can assist you with this. Or do you need to leave your current accommodation? We can also assist you with this.

We have staff that can advise you and talk you through all of your housing options.

You can always get in touch with a key worker.

Will I get social welfare payments if I am homeless?

If you are applying for a social welfare payment after you have become homeless, you will need to be assessed by the Department of Social Welfare.

Every person’s situation is different so it’s really important that you talk to the right services as quickly as possible to get your entitlements sorted out.

For information on where your local Department of Social Protection is and for support in applying for your social welfare entitlements, please get in touch with us.

How can I make a complaint?

  1. Complaints from people using our Services: Download our Customer Complaints Policy.
  2. Complaints about our Fundraising: Please visit our Feedback & Complaints page.
  3. Complaints from members of the public: Send an email to These emails are monitored regularly and responded to in due course.